View Single Post
Old 12-16-14, 03:33 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You mean where everybody slaps BSY on the back and tells him what a cracking great bike he is going to get despite not having the least idea how it will turn out. And we all keep any concerns to ourselves. Like a movie scene in an Irish pub. Yes, we could all do that, but it would be completely disingenuous. You don't need a forum for that. Folks come here to share what they know (or at least in good conscience think they know). I haven't seen one example of ill will on the side of the folks who were doing their best to educate BSY about the possible pitfalls of his plan. All of the peckishness appears to be coming from folks who just don't want to know about it. These threads always remind me of Jack Nicholson's outburst in "A Few Good Men": "You can't handle the truth!" It is a shame he was on the wrong side there, or we naysayers could all identify with him.
I have no problem with hearing the opinions of others, and definitely appreciate all of your posts in this thread. I also have no problem with Campag4life's comments on the superiority of monocoque construction. He is correct.

What makes me laugh is Campag's belief that there's no need for a custom frame. I've been in the industry for many decades, and I know many custom builders and a few owners of well established companies. Bob Parlee loaned me his personal bike(Z1 custom frame)for a few days, and Marcus Storck has loaned me a few of his 63cm offerings(Fascenario). Both bikes were very nice, but both Bob and Marcus agreed that I was one of those guys that would be better suited with a build that was a little different. Bob's Z1 was close, but the Storck Fascenario was about 15mm too long, and the headtube was too long.

Old Italian bikes from the 80s fit me very well, but I haven't seen any monocoque bikes that offer the same style of geometry.