View Single Post
Old 12-18-14, 02:42 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Here’s a documentary on several couples testing the carless lifestyle in Calgary by becoming bus and rail dependant. These families choose to live in suburban communities away from transit rich cities to become carless and I applaud their attempt. ... It just seems to me that being carless in the movie was all about sacrifice and suffering. I did not pay for the full length movie due to the fact it was being done wrong. I don’t consider myself carless because that is the wrong way to look at it. My life is not LESS by not owning a car.
Carless in Calgary for ten years in April, can confirm they are Doin It Wrong. I have used bus, train, bike, walking, and sometimes cheated by borrowing friend's cars, but I always come back to bike and train as being the best options for me. I do not like driving. I find it stressful. I'd FAR rather ride my bike, even in -30, than drive.

I have had to take these factors into consideration when choosing where to live and work; but that's life. In exchange for living closer to the center of the city, in a smaller space, I have freed up hours of commuting time and thousands of dollars in costs. (Not that I had thousands of dollars to begin with, but that's also life...)