Thread: Build dilemmas
View Single Post
Old 12-18-14, 03:49 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Build dilemmas

Well as this is a build dilemma thread I'll move on, I'm eyeing my 84 and a half miyata ridge runner now... possible 27" fixed gear conversion, possible 26" gravel grinder/all arounder... I don't really have an active mtb atm as my GT is wearing 2 inch slicks and rides like a dream, but I need something for mud and gravel! I've also got a nice late 90's dual suspension frame but I never ride any real technical trails.

If I did build it up as an offroader here's a short list:

Ultegra Triple (6500) crankset, 5500 BB
STX hubs laced to kinlin rims (8 speed currently, but IIRC it's an easy swap to 9 speed?)
Deore XT RD (8 or 9 speed era, not entirely sure)
Modern Deore top or bottom pull triple FD
I've got both mini v's and full v's
What I don't have is 9 speed integrated braking levers (v-brakes)
Assorted stems/bars/saddles/seatposts to match up to a good fit

If I did the FG conversion another short list:

27" fixed gear wheelset
Early 90's campy cartridge BB
Super Maxy crankset (small ring removed)
Early 90's trek 700c fork to correct geometry (fork also has clearance for the 27" wheelset)
Campy Centaur front brake (modern), other brake options are available.
Assorted stems/bars/saddles/seatposts to match up to a good fit

So what would C&V do? (for clarification, a very nice tange mtb frameset is returning to me soon, so using a nice frameset like this for a 27" conversion wouldn't be the end of my mtb's)

OLD FIRST POST
So here's where it sits, since the death of my previous raleigh I've been planning to move it's 6500 ultegra group onto my 1984 Centurion Turbo, in a fit of madness I fitted the group onto my 1988 Schwinn Premis.. and despite consulting with the illustrious Robbie Tunes about the centurion build I have this nagging feeling I might not want to change up the Turbo at all... it rides soooooooo nice as it is. Not to mention the 6500 group looks gorgeous on the Premis right down to the wheel anodizing popping with the paint scheme. So here's my thoughts.. I can either transplant the drivetrain whole onto the Turbo, or leave it unmolested.. both are excellent riders so it comes down to a matter of aesthetics.

So what would you do? Here's a crappy pic to help your thoughts.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 12-20-14 at 10:51 AM.