Old 12-20-14, 05:37 PM
hartlean

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora; 2013 Surly Cross-Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SparkyGA
Same here. My family is my biggest critique. I ignore their comments but send them postcards of pretty places around the world.

My sisters BF (who I exceedingly dislike since the day I met him) sent me a lovely message awhile back calling me a dirty hobo cyclist who is a burden on society.... Funny pay my taxes, educated and have a sweet job that allows me to do as please. I just live life out of 2 panniers instead of having a more normal life.

Woman who like cycle tourists? Easy. Look for women that care more about you than your material possessions or titles attached to you name. Also take girls on bicycle riding dates; if they reject that idea, don't go on a date with them.
Funny about the "burden on society" thing. On my last tour I had stopped in the parking lot of a car dealership. It was closing time & the owner came out to begin his (car) drive home. He asked me some of the usual questions: where was I going, where was I staying at night & so on.
After 5 min of banter about those matters, he asked why I was taking my journey (from NC to NY to care for my mother over the winter) by bicycle instead of car. I explained that I was trying to reduce my CO2 footprint, since I believe global warming is real & will hurt many people. He really gave me a long lecture, about global warming being a scam / hoax & about cars being so necessary for civilized living. It was pretty funny but yet pitiable as well. He seemed to have been selling cars for decades, & the thought of the environmental damage of all those sales must have been too much for him to stomach.
Some folks have a strange opinion about who is the "burden on society."