View Single Post
Old 12-20-14, 11:25 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Having two ensures you'll always have at least one running.
This is an important point. Years ago, someone on here noted, "If you need one, you need two." I have had two instances recently that confirmed this. If I know I will be out after dark, I usually run one light on blinking for visibility, and one on steady for helping drivers to judge distance and to comply with the law in PA. (I believe it requires a steady red tail light for bicyclists after dark, but I haven't checked recently.)

Any way, on one ride the steady tail light stopped working, and I didn't notice until I got home. On another ride, I hadn't tightened the blinking light's mounting bracket tight enough, and it had slipped down and was facing the ground. It shows light around the edges, so it still probably helped, but not as much as if it were facing the proper direction.

As a side note, I have been using the NiteRider Solas tail light, and it is 2 watts of awesomeness! It is super bright, and has 4 modes. There is a fast blink, which is almost shockingly bright. The comment in the original post about inducing seizures makes me wonder... The Solas also has a group ride mode, which consists of 2 fast blinks followed by a slow fade out. I think that in a group, I might still use one of the two steady modes (high or low). The only problem I have had with it was the time that I did not fully tighten the bracket, which is of course 100% user error. I would highly recommend it. I'm also a big fan of the MiNewt 600 headlight, which appears to have been discontinued, and at least one chain store has on clearance.