Old 12-21-14, 01:27 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bconneraz
I've had really good luck with SKS p65 chromoplast fenders; I'm currently running a 26x2.0 Marathon Supreme, and could go a lot fatter.
I've had a different experience with them. I'm running 2.1" Schwalbe Big Bens, and they fit fine, but I have two gripes:

1) They're too flexy. The front is OK, but I spent weeks trying to keep the rear fender off the rear tire. I'd refit them or bend the stays and they'd still be rubbing. Maddening.

2) They aren't long enough. When I was running VO's or Honjo's over smaller diameter tires my feet didn't hardly get wet, not only do they get wet generally if it is wet out, but if I go through big puddles my feet get absolutely drenched.

I'm going to be moving them to another bike soon, and when I do I am going to try retrofitting sturdier stays to the rear fender. I think the stays just aren't strong enough.

In addition, (and I know this doesn't matter to some folks), they aren't the greatest fenders aesthetically. They aren't uniform, SKS fenders always seem to have a sideways curve in them (probably happens in the curing process). It bugs me to walk up to the bike from the rear and see the fender curving off to one side.