Old 12-22-14, 06:27 AM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My bike stable will be limited to two due to WAF. Current duo includes an OLD Electra Townie coaster brake with fenders and a Kona Unit single speed. IF (and it's a BIG if, at this point), I can get the Kona to fit well, then I may convert it to a Nexus 7. Otherwise, it's gone & I'll look for other options. I'm envious of the lovely bikes youse guys have. I'm a clyde for life at my height & size, so fly-weight carbon racing bikes aren't in my future (but I like to look)!

The Townie, by the way, has been bulletproof and 100% reliable. I can hop it any time & commute, exercise, or just go for a jaunt. There is no maintenance to speak of, and in all the years I've owned it the only thing that had to be replaced was a stretched chain. I'd added a rear rack and front basket, but since I never used the former, I removed it. The basket is Electra's quick-release model, so unless I'm going shopping, I leave it at home. When I bought the Townie, I had grave doubts about the light weight aluminum frame. But despite bumping 300# when I started with the Electra, it never complained. I'm 265 now and trending ever downward, thanks to the exercise that the Townie allows me. For the money spent, it's the best bike I've ever owned. Even if I end up with a multi-speed second bike for longer rides, I'll be keeping the Townie. It is just too good a bike to let go.

FarHorizon