Old 12-23-14, 08:02 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sedgemop
Couldn't help noticing the Dairyland Land Dare poster. Would you use the 760 on a ride like that? If so, how have you got it geared?

Nice frame, by the way. Looks well-preserved.
It is taking a morning OA bath as I write this.

For the DD, I've ridden it on the 760 three times now. One other time I rode on an aluminum/carbon combo frame. The 760 works great on the DD, as the steel frame and country roads mix very well. I've had it geared three different ways for the ride (I like to mix it up).

-In the first year with the trek I had it with a sugino 48/34 up front and a 13-27 on the rear (8 speed shimergo setup).
-The next year I did the (no longer existing) Wisconsin Triple Crown on the 760 with a triple that was converted to a double. That was a 46/60 with a 12-28 (also 8 speed shimergo but with rival shifters up front instead of campy shifters) setup. That one was probably the best set up for climbing, and I needed it on the Arcadia Brute and Kickapoo Kicker. The added benefit of that gearing was the ability to stay on the "big" ring for all but the steep climbs. A little wide on the ratios between gears, but just the ticket for the big climb rides.
-This year I rode the DD with a 50/39 and 12-30 10 speed SRAM combo. The combo from the prior year was moved over to my cross bike (and the Arcadia Brute and Kickapoo Kicker did not happen this year), so I needed to come up with something good enough for the DD's climbs. That worked great except for just one or two hills on the way to Mineral Point on the 150k route (still climbed them, but a little more grind than spin). It must work, since at two stops the mechanics told me I was the first steel bike though, and they were expecting something modern instead.

So, lots of ways to skin a cat. The 760 frame is my first love. I'm considering putting a Chorus group on it, or the new 105. It splits time about 50/50 with my new custom. A picture of this year's setup on Bascom Hill in Madison.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0720-z.jpg (99.3 KB, 1294 views)