View Single Post
Old 12-23-14, 07:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts
I got into bikes as a kid in the early 70's. There were no local mentors, so I checked the book The Complete Book of Bicycling by Eugene Sloan out of the library. In fact, I think I checked it out of the library at least a dozen times.
Eventually I did stumble across a copy of Bicycling magazine, which led me to other sources such as Gene Portusi's Cyclo-Pedia catalog with all of its tutorials. Very informative! By 9th grade, I was building my own wheels.

After high school, I spent a tour in the Marines. A couple of buddies that used to race taught me about pace lines, track stands, and proper riding techniques. We had a lot of fun!

Then it was off to college, where engineering classes kept me too busy to do much more than ride to classes and ride rollers in the dorm. I've kept riding ever since, and really started doing more miles once I finished up my masters degree. I've been busy with the local club, riding with friends and leading a weekly ride. Lots of fun! Now I get to teach people about old bikes.
I tell people that I'm not a guy who rides old bikes.. I'm a "historical re-enactor"!