View Single Post
Old 12-23-14, 09:06 PM
mattk42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Well, I guess I'm one of the young-uns on this forum (I'm 22), though I'm more of a lurker than a poster. My bike is older than me, it's a Schwinn Premis (all stock but for tires and tape). I started commuting a bit on a mountain bike to classes at community college and wanted to do more fun/fast/fitness type riding. I bought a late 70s too-small-for-me Schwinn Le Tour III at a yard sale and rode it a bit. That bike got me hooked on road biking and classic bikes. I had started lurking around on here by then, but I didn't know enough about bike fit prior to buying the Le Tour; though after riding it a while I did. Started at university and didn't ride the Le Tour much at all during the school year, but did more learning about bikes. That summer (summer before last) I saw the Premis in my size (I must have a thing for Schwinns or something), picked it up and have been riding it lots and lots since. Got my brother, dad, and mom riding classic and vintage road bikes, we make for quite the C&V group riders (about the only C&V'ers I've seen out on rides). My dad rode road bikes between college and kids but, other than mountain bikes as kids, didn't get my brother and I into riding. I'm pretty proud of my mom, she's really getting into it and picked up indexed down tube shifters after the first ride. We're planning a 50 miler family ride for Christmas Day.

There aren't too many people at my school that I see doing any serious road bike riding (all Carbon something-or-others). I only know one road biker personally. He's in my program (Electrical Engineering) and had been commuting on a newer KHS commuter road bike for a while. Now he rides with my brother and I on much longer rides than his commute. I keep telling him to get some classic steel and he keeps telling me I need brifters.

Oh, so no, not mentored in person, but through this forum and Sheldon Brown's website I learned a LOT. I've done all the wrenching on the family bikes. I'm so thankful that I found this forum because it spurred a great passion for riding classic and vintage bikes and doing wrenching.

Last edited by mattk42; 12-23-14 at 09:19 PM.