Old 12-25-14, 04:49 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can someone help me pick an LED for a DIY dynamo taillight?

Hey everyone!

I recently set up my bicycle with a Shimano DH-3N80 front hub, and the Supernova E3 Pro 2 headlight.

There are many good things to be said about the Supernova E3 headlight- however, taillight selection is not one of those things. I have no love for the taillight mounting options Supernova provides- I like fender mounted lights much more. Unfortunately, Supernova recommends that you only use their taillights with the E3 headlight.

I found a website detailing a method for constructing your own taillight to go with the E3 headlight.

Red Giant LED Tail light

This idea is very appealing to me. I currently have a PDW Fenderbot taillight, and I'd like to put an LED behind the reflector in it, much like in the link above. I don't like the idea of using a white LED in the taillight, however, and I also don't have to deal with quite the same space restrictions as the instructions in the link above, since I'm not trying to put an LED into such a small, flat reflector.

Can someone help me select an LED that would be both 1), more appropriate for this project, and 2), red?

I've never done anything like this before, but it seems like a relatively easy project, and much cheaper than Supernova's offerings.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thaaanks!