Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificwaters
Well I am into gymming just to stay fit. Not the ones to hit the gym obsessively on a muscle building regimen. Muscle tone is more than enough. Had the belief that this would also help improve my muscle endurance levels other than just the basic stamina to go long distances.

I shall keep your tip for long distance cycling in mind @Carbonfiberboy.

As regards what I exactly meant by a scientific way, well when I was practicing for participating in a Marathon, there was this routine my friend had suggested to me
Day 1: Sprints of 400 m, rest, sprints etc
Day 2: Rest or hit the gym
Day 3: Medium paced running for 800 m and 1600
Day 4: Rest or gym
Day 5: Long distance running at slow pace
Day 6: Rest or gym
Day 7: Rest

Next week would be paces of different distances

The entire schedule was spread over 3 months to build up endurance and stamina.

So was just wondering if there are plans like this for Brevet preparations also or does one just go flat out for long ditances?
But is it scientific? A lot of training stuff one sees and hears sounds scientific and is really complicated, but has it been proven to be better than some alternative in double-blind crossover studies? For the most part, I doubt it. The only "scientific" training method I know of is discussed in the link in this thread starter:
http://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...hile-back.html
And that is how the top marathoners do train.

Effective weight lifting for cycling is discussed in this thread:
http://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...-training.html
Scientific studies on this subject suggest that heavy half squats, 4 X 4RM, with the optional addition of single leg presses 4 X 4RM, twice a week or even once a week, will produce the desired result. Not too much else. These studies were done on accomplished athletes, some elite, so it's probably advisable for most folks to start with 3 X 12RM and work their way down in reps as their conditioning comes along. 12RM means you could not do a 13th rep. When you can do another rep, you add weight for the next set. Most weights studies were done with no reduction in endurance training time, the weights being added in since the total weight workout volume is so low.