Old 12-26-14, 05:05 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Whoever brazed/welded the lugs to the tubes was careless and/or Raleigh quality control at the time was horrible. Please tell me that Raleigh had better quality control than that.
Having been responsible for all assembly at one of the nation's oldest and largest bike shops during the "bike boom" years Quality on many now venerable marques was truly hit and miss if not downright awful. Labor unrest, the push for maximum production to meet demand, old production processes and indifferent management were all to blame for some truly miserable product getting to our door from most British and European brands. Some was good, some not.

Sprites were a particular misery get into saleable condition, while Sports generally were not. It was as if Record frames that failed QC were assigned to Sprite-hood. My advice to customers: Buy a Schwinn Suburban. Schwinn quality from Chicago was very good, although the product was in short supply.

My mechanics would mysteriously disappear when a truck pulled up with Peugeots in battered crumbling packing cartons that would not survive a trip across town let alone an Atlantic crossing and the tender mercies of Teamster transport. Missing parts boxes, taco'd wheels and battered paintjobs were the norm. Motobecane was a step up in all respects from other Euro brands, except availability.

When the Japanese mfgs. entered the market with great design, exceptional quality control, excellent components, lovely paint and packaged to arrive in pristine condition we simply gave up on the moderate price point Euro bikes and never looked back.

Beware Rose Tinted glasses in acquiring C&V machines, pay close attention as you have and be prepared to politely walk away......

-Bandera