Old 12-26-14, 07:14 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
@Bandera- th is for sharing your insights & experience. It makes sense now. I was just surprised. The seller did have the bike serviced 90 days ago, but couldn't tell me of the bb had been done. Cables & housings were new. Those Sprites had every nut & tiny part branded with the Raleigh stylized "R". Overkill for my tastes. The Huret Allivit rear derailleurs were something to behold - like 6" long!
If they were assembled by a good shop they were perfectly serviceable, although rough in aesthetics "back when", we made them work warts and all.
Sprites were humble derailleur fare for an American commuter market that really didn't exist "back when" and a bit of a puzzle for Nottingham and the US bike shops. If totally overhauled they would be very basic transportation and of no real interest to mechanics/riders of my generation: Think Rambler Ambassador.

Sports were dependable, if somewhat pedestrian and ill-suited to much American terrain, but they were good solid machines and have a peculiar charm of their own. Think Rural Pastor en route to Miss Marple's for tea. Of course the Pastor would have to walk up my hills in his sensible brogues.......Take careful look at that AW equipped Hercules, it might be Miss Marples' personal machine,,,,,,,,,

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 12-26-14 at 07:18 PM.