Old 12-27-14, 07:19 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
I don't want a racing bike, but I also don't want something so bucolic. I'm physically fit and like something that's zippy & responsive, yet stable and comfortable.
As noted in a current thread on "Modernizing" a Raleigh Sports for lighter weight/performance in my opinion it's a waste of time/effort/$ since the Sports frame is a plootering about design. Think Rambler Ambassador: heavy solid and very slow no matter what one does to it.

The virtues of a SA IGH can be easily incorporated into a light lively frameset with character, charm and reasonable performance.
The British did it with the Classic Clubman bikes where 531 frames, light wheels and clearance for mudguards were mated to SA IGH hubs to produce a machine that meets your requirements. 65'er has pics in this sub-forum of his lovely OEM clubman.

Since this design is "obsolete" and finding a good one on this side of the Atlantic is a thin hope the resourceful C&V enthusiast simply "rolls their own".
Here's mine:

The recipe: Find a classic British 531 bike that fits, Raleigh Super Course, Gran(d) Sport, Competition and such.
Remove the derailleur bits & bobs and the outer chainring.
Install the IGH laced to an alloy rim of your choice and have at it.
Town bars, mudguards, a bell and tweed cap optional.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
aero-clubman-drawing.jpg (93.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg
Internat'l_9_13.jpg (72.5 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 12-27-14 at 07:39 AM.