View Single Post
Old 12-27-14, 11:29 AM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
As noted in a current thread on "Modernizing" a Raleigh Sports for lighter weight/performance in my opinion it's a waste of time/effort/$ since the Sports frame is a plootering about design. Think Rambler Ambassador: heavy solid and very slow no matter what one does to it.
I agree that if you want to make a "zippy" three speed, the best way is to take a a 70s/80s road frame with cro-moly tubing and make it a three speed. But call me crazy: I never felt like my three speed Raleigh was particularly slow and "plootering". No, it isn't a fast bike, but I never feel like I'm riding a dog. And yes, Portland has some hills. Maybe because I'm not a lightweight bike kinda guy? Maybe because I'm not lightweight?

And while modernizing a Sports bike might be a "waste of time" from a reducing weight standpoint, I do believe there are performance benefits to some bits of modernization. Alloy rims definitely stop better in the rain (which happens in Portland!) Getting a bigger rear cog helps with the hills.