View Single Post
Old 10-29-05, 10:17 AM
Leo C. Driscoll

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm commuting on Irish roads (with firewood, turf, groceries in a big rucksack) on a new Trek 7300SF. I purchased this bike because the 9/11 (inspection) thugs in Boston (in addition to ripping off my tools-again) did not repack my Dahon Matrix folder cocooned in its Tempurpedic foam mattress pad and the folder arrived, after being hurled by gorillas in Boston, Manchester UK, or Cork with a destroyed derailleur. Getting replacement parts in Ireland seems to be even more challenging than riding on Irish roads ;-)

I really miss my Jamis Coda Sport which is unfortunately in storage in Boston. Not just the steel frame and geometry- if it were a horse it would be a thoroughbred- but the quality parts. I can't say the same for the Trek 7300SF. The fat aluminum, heavy frame performs badly in high coastal winds. Also I've had a saga of flats and shifting problems.

I'm going to replace the cheap Bontrager tyres with Hutchison Gold Elites and add Cane Creek Ergo Control bar ends. Already replaced the stock pedals with wide and secure Stomp platform pedals. Finally, if I take the Trek 7300SF to the UK on the ferry (and don't heave it into the Irish Sea), I'll get a Cane Creek headset, Technomic stem, wider bars, and especially a serious saddle (such as a Brooks Champion Flyer and a Thudbuster seatpost). But when touring West Cork in the spring, I'll be on the Jamis Coda Sport- this time shipped in a bike box ;-) Or if I win at the racetrack, I may even ride the Ring of Kerry on a Ducati ;-)

Last edited by Leo C. Driscoll; 10-30-05 at 03:18 AM.