Old 12-27-14, 02:48 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
Looking at purchasing a new set of custom built wheels. They offer a radial spoke for the front. What are the advantages of radial spokes? Should I opt for then?
1) Custom built track wheels are as necessary as custom blue jeans. You don't *need* custom wheels. There are a lot of off-the-shelf track wheels that are excellent, inexpensive, and readily available locally and online.

2) To answer your question:

Originally Posted by mihlbach
The benefits of radial lacing are a slightly lighter, more aero, and slightly stiffer wheel. Its also much easier and faster to build a radially laced wheel. The only real drawback to radial lacing is that it cannot handle torque, which is why a rear wheel is never completely radial laced, although one side may be radial. Radial is perfectly fine for the front, unless you are using a disk brake. Radial lacing stresses the hub flange more and there is a very minor risk of breaking the hub flange if you are using a hub not built for radial lacing.

All my bikes have radially laced fronts ranging in spoke count from 36-24, all custom built by myself. My oldest pairs of wheels have been subjected to pretty severe punishment, but none of them have ever broken, lost tension, or gone out of true. With the right front hub (and no disk brake), radial is as strong, durable, and reliable as a 2x or 3x. Overall, the benefits are exceedingly minor, but IMO, its the best lacing strategy for the front wheel.
located in this thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/singlespee...ml#post6921438