Old 12-27-14, 03:28 PM
banjo_mole 
Bicycle Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by unterhausen
there was a thread here recently where we talked about a taillight for supernova. They rectify the voltage which includes the standlight. So they probably don't want to be responsible for helping make other lights work. I still haven't tried it, but another poster said that a B&M light works if you hook it up right. The supernova lights appear to be very simple, 3 leds and some resistors. Although I've never been able to verify this from the pictures I've found online.

I'm not sure that the supernova headlight is really guaranteed to put out less than 6v, but assuming it is and a 2v Vf on the LEDs, the website is calling for no more than 1/2 watt across the tail light LED. The supernova tail light has no heat sinking, but I'm not sure how much current it draws at 6 v. The LED at the website in the OP actually has a certain amount of heatsink built in. Granted, it wouldn't work for a headlight, but it would almost certainly work in this application.
Awesome! I feel like you're picking up what I'm putting down.

That said, uhh... would that LED znomit posted work, or does that one demand too much power? Would there be a better option? Or is that a good one?

I'm really new to DIY lighting and I'm more confused now than when I started.

If I need to fit some sort of heatsink in the reflector shell of the PDW Fenderbot I'm certain I can figure that out. I don't need the light to be super powerful, though. Just a happy lil' taillight.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone!