Old 12-28-14, 11:57 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
This was exactly the feature that Jobst Brandt railed against in the case of the old Specialized Touring tire - and precisely because the effect of that raised center strip was to increase the rolling resistance contrary to Specialized's marketing claims. That's what I would expect to happen since that added bit of rubber would be compressed and squirm out to the sides at the contact patch as the tire rotates, thereby absorbing energy and increasing resistance.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/1ur1vrs8GDg

As I mentioned, I've experienced less effort and lower rolling resistance in using tires with this ridge for touring. I don't care what a single wheel expert states. I'm buying and trust old leading manufacturers with massive engineering staff and experience.

More: Try a mid-weight all -slick- Hutchinson at high pressure vs. an older Specialized or heavier wider Michelin tour tire with this ridge. I can speak for it from actually doing. The Hutchinson may stick better or handle better on specific surface (which may be important for racing) but I know from experience the tour type mentioned will roll farther along. Again, for discussion of rolling resistance and disregarding tire size and application. However, if we discuss application, surely a racing slick has its reasons and place. But we also have a tandem and where I've tried many styles of road tires. Lightweight slicks are the worst. I've also had tires melt from friction and hot tarmac. Grippy for criterium but otherwise useless.

Choice of tire for application and comfort level is probably the most notable thing on a bike. Its fairly easy for me to judge the difference between a fast or slow roller. No real scientific data is needed. One can do their own demonstration and mark out spacing distance on a side road. Get up to speed as noted on your bike computer and at a designated spot, start the coast. Swap tires, do the same routine and compare. Try various pressures.

That said, its always worth looking into new concept or tire designs. I've been using the Tufo tubular/clincher's and for whatever their secret is, I'm becoming a fan of them. But that's for another thread. Cheer's-

Last edited by crank_addict; 12-28-14 at 12:05 PM.