Old 12-28-14, 05:14 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I've never used horizontal with disc brakes. Question is; which dropout is more of a pain for wheel installation, and do the horizontal dropouts make disc alignment a pain?
I converted my old 1x1 to a Nexus,and on that frame the track ends + seatstay caliper were a PITA to deal with. A frame with a chainstay caliper mount would be easier to deal with,but with track ends you also have to take into account whether or not you'll be running fenders. The wheel has to be pulled to the rear for removal;fenders will prolly get in the way. Forward facing(semi-horiz) dropouts work much better. Honestly,if you can get sliding dropouts,they work the best. I've owned bikes with track ends,semi's,and sliding,and the sliding were def the best solution. EBB's depend on the specific design;some work well,some are crap. There have been adapters to put EBB's in standard frames,but I've never read any good reviews of them.

Originally Posted by Banzai
Does the chain tensioner make wheel install a chore? (Read it somewhere...don't know why it would be any more troublesome than an RD, but I've never used an IGH.)
Depends how the tensioner is set up. If they're closer to the frame,they can be a bit of a pain,if they hang down more they're pretty much the same as a derailleur.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X