Old 12-29-14, 04:40 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Comment on what to wear.

I bought lobster gloves way back but found them too hot for me. I still have the set - not using gloves more than a few times for 20 years means they're not worn after 20 years. Only at the absolute coldest temps did they help (and then other parts of my kit failed to keep me even semi-warm so overall I wasn't happy). I'm talking 10-15 deg on the road, below 0 for off road. Above that and my hands got so hot I had to vent them while I was riding (i.e. take off the gloves here and there, and I think I ditched the gloves completely towards the end of a cold race).

With feet I'm good, once I get going, with booties and regular shoes/socks, down to about 25-30 degrees. Rides over 2 hours in those temps, not so good. They turn on and off at 105 degrees or something so they shouldn't get too hot.

I got the sole heaters for the off chance that I'd go out in 25-35 degree weather; specifically I got them so that if I was racing at 25-30 degrees I'd be okay. If I was training I could just stay inside. Race day is race day, and I'd rather spend energy moving an extra couple ounces of sole heaters than trying to keep my feet warm.

Of course this means I have to go out on a 25-35 degree training day or three with the sole heaters, to make sure they don't screw up my position etc. I learned, while I was trying to sell my size 42 winter Sidis, that my "too small" winter Sidis were size 41, not size 40 like I thought. I wear a size 41 so I figured a 41 would be good, but for some reason the 41 winter shoe was just too small. What this all means is that I'm going to venture out in the size 42 winter shoes with the heaters in them, see how the fit/etc work.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson