Old 12-31-14, 12:40 AM
amichael79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
You wore more than me (upper body) on my single digit morning commute today. I do, however, wear compression pants over chamois, and a pair of breathable pants to block the wind. I personally wear goggles and a balaclava if it gets below 20 degrees or so, as the wind on the eyes (I wear contacts) causes my eyes to water excessively. I also like mittens instead of gloves in sub freezing temps. And I wear boots over wool socks, and ride platform pedals.
One thing I will say, is that when the temp gets down near 0, any kind of headwind will penetrate and cool unprotected appendages, including the one between your legs. I carry an stocking cap to stuff down there if needed...no fun arriving to your destination in good order, but with a frozen banana.
I take it that I should be fine then, what with my upper-body warmth emphasis. (No worry about the banana!) I wonder though, if wearing mittens would make it harder to shift the gears? Also I have just clipped (?) pedals right now, so have not considered boots or warmer shoes than just double or triple socks. Thank you for your feedback!