Old 12-31-14, 02:46 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
electronic shifting is lacking in a necessity for any particular skill or talent, IMO. i think that for the most part, i find learning shifting technique and then putting it to a good purpose is satisfying. like Harold Hill said, "i consider the hours i spend with a cue (substitute friction shifter) in my hand are golden. helps you cultivate horse-sense a cool head and a keen eye. did you ever go try and give yourself an iron-clad leave from a three rail billiard shot? ... i say, any boob can go and shove a ball in a pocket (push a button on the handlebar)".

i don't discount the advantages in a professional race though, especially a criterium, for practical purposes, it just removes it from the level of a skill to a commodity.

and i'm sure i would feel the same way about pre-drailleur bikes too. it's just that i was born AFTER the Hoover administration.
I understand what you're saying, but IMO if you're using "brifters", then any skill has gone down the proverbial downtube. Now, if you still like to ride pre-indexed shifters that would be a skill! We used to have contests to see who could double shift the smoothest
Originally Posted by zatopek
I've never ridden electronic. My friends who ride electronic swear by it. I'd be happy to try it but do not want it on any of my road bikes. One of the most appealing aspects of bikes is their simplicity. My little brain seems to be able to comprehend the mechanical aspects of bikes such that I can build my own bikes and execute any needed repairs. I'd like to keep it that way. My objection to electronic is philosophical.
I can respect this view, at least it's honest and not based in assumptions, there are a lot of things I'm philosophically opposed to (like fishing with dynamite as an example)!