View Single Post
Old 12-31-14, 02:50 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
electronic shifting is lacking in a necessity for any particular skill or talent, IMO. i think that for the most part, i find learning shifting technique and then putting it to a good purpose is satisfying. like Harold Hill said, "i consider the hours i spend with a cue (substitute friction shifter) in my hand are golden. helps you cultivate horse-sense a cool head and a keen eye. did you ever go try and give yourself an iron-clad leave from a three rail billiard shot? ... i say, any boob can go and shove a ball in a pocket (push a button on the handlebar)".

i don't discount the advantages in a professional race though, especially a criterium, for practical purposes, it just removes it from the level of a skill to a commodity.

and i'm sure i would feel the same way about pre-drailleur bikes too. it's just that i was born AFTER the Hoover administration.
And if "any boob" has all the skills necessary to be a success in a given pursuit, how are the more talented among us going to demonstrate their excellence. It just isn't fair, is it? But on the other hand maybe things like manual automobile shifting, mechanical bicycle shifting, manual camera focusing and exposure setting, etc. aren't really skills that are all that difficult to acquire or significant to possess. I mean how many folks refuse to wear shoes with Velcro straps because they can't show how well they can tie a bow? What's the difference? Progress is all around us in everything we do. And come on, it is not like we are talking about replacing concert pianists with a computerized "player" device. At least in this regard the Borg got it right, "Resistance is futile."

Now when automatic bike shifting is introduced on a commercial scale, well then let the complaints begin. That will truly be a shame on the sport. Any boob will be able to win the TdF. I can't wait to see that.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...