Old 12-31-14, 03:12 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
And if "any boob" has all the skills necessary to be a success in a given pursuit, how are the more talented among us going to demonstrate their excellence. It just isn't fair, is it? But on the other hand maybe things like manual automobile shifting, mechanical bicycle shifting, manual camera focusing and eie a xposure setting, etc. aren't really skills that are all that difficult to acquire or significant to possess. I mean how many folks refuse to wear shoes with Velcro straps because they can't show how well they can tbow? What's the difference? Progress is all around us in everything we do. And come on, it is not like we are talking about replacing concert pianists with a computerized "player" device. At least in this regard the Borg got it right, "Resistance is futile."

Now when automatic bike shifting is introduced on a commercial scale, well then let the complaints begin. That will truly be a shame on the sport. Any boob will be able to win the TdF. I can't wait to see that.
i just remember that a whole lot of people never even shifted their mult-speed bikes, for the most part, because they could never learn to do it effectively, but i'll bet the vast majority of them managed to tie their shoes before the age of eight. OK, i'll admit i was 10 or 11 and only weened at 14, but i was a late bloomer.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 12-31-14 at 03:16 PM.