View Single Post
Old 12-31-14, 05:53 PM
jkmartin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeneralist
Let's say I'm already convinced -- looking for USB power, rather than to directly power lights. What's a good resource to look at to figure out all the bits and pieces I'll need?
You'll probably be better off with a powerbank you can charge every 3-4 days from an outlet and/or solar. I've been using an SP PD-8 dynamo, B&M Luxos U for USB output, and a GoalZero Guide 10 AA battery pack. Hooking my very cheap Android phone directly into the USB output will recharge the phone at about 1-2% per mile. However when I'm in a speed range of 5-9mph the phone will constantly start and stop charging which I doubt is good for it. Routing USB power to the Guide 10 to use as a cache battery is better, but a 25 mile ride is only enough to charge my 7" tablet 3-4%.

Having components from so many different vendors makes troubleshooting difficult, and needless to say it's an expensive option to ride all day for what amounts to about $.02 of electricity from an outlet.

Besides the Peter White site I found these helpful:

Cycling About ? Power Resource for Bicycle Touring: Dynamo Hubs, Solar Panels, Power Supplies and Batteries
Bicycle lighting, mostly powered via dynamo, and USB power from dynamo
Hub Dynamo Systems For Bicycle Touring: Part 2 » Tour in Tune