View Single Post
Old 01-01-15, 04:33 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
It is ideal for a dyno you use occasionally which is the case for me. If you always use it you might be better off with a hub unit. This takes about 10-15 minutes to move from bike to bike depending on the mounts and how you have it set up. It spins at much higher RPMs than a hub unit which makes it easy to build as a small (and lighter) unit and it also gives it a mechanical efficiency advantage at higher RPMs. I mount mine on the rear and I have it there because it is audible, but to me not annoyingly so. It does not slip at all in wet weather and you would not want to use one if you ride in a lot of thick mud. You totally disengage it when not in use so no trouble at all when you want to pull off the wheel. I have the Trekking model powering an Edelux II. It is a great combination. It does get a bit dimmer when pedaling up a steep hill at 4 MPH, but I do not need as bright of a beam then either. It is very well made and not too bad to install, but you have to order the right type of mount (or mounts) for how you want to install it. I like the fact that I can mount it front or rear and use what ever hub and rims I already have, no need to rebuild a wheel and idle my Phil Wood hubs. I also like the fact that it is completely disengaged when not needed so no additional drag (unless you want to consider the very tiny bit of wind resistance for the unit attached to your frame).

Here is a post on another discussion on the Velogical. There are a lot of skeptics (that have not used it) and me, an actual owner of one. http://www.bikeforums.net/electronic...mbination.html

Further down in the post you can see my power output curves. The unit I have puts out 2 watts at about 14 kph and 6 watts ah 23 kph. Not too shabby! They also make a higher output model for slower riders or ones that need to charge GPS or run multiple headlights, and a lower output model for faster riders that do not want to ground excess power back to the frame (which is what happens with most larger hub dynos).
Thanks for the additional info. This time of year my studded tires probably drown out any noise that your rim dynamo could ever make.

If they are hand made by the seller, I can see that it is unlikely that I will ever find one on a good sale price.

I got my SP Dynamo PV-8 dynohub in April 2013, but if I was aware of these at that time I would have considered this instead. That way I could have one that would fit on my 700c bike, twp 26 inch bikes and my foldup.

My hub is silent. I think some people complain of a low frequency vibration in the handlebars at very slow speeds with some dynohubs, I have never felt that with my hub but I have a heavy rim and 2.0 or 2.25 width tire on that rim, that might dampen any vibration. I can't feel any drag at all with my hub, but my hub is rated to have less drag than most others. During spring and summer I am running one Lumotec Oval with a switch (discontinued model). During fall and winter when the sun sets earlier and I am more likely to be caught out in the dark, I run two Lumotec Ovals that have no switch (also discontinued models) in series and leave them on all the time. Even with two lights, I still do not notice any drag.