Old 01-04-15, 10:59 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
You are simply factually incorrect about that. If my phone is really "turned off" or shut down, it does not communicate with cell towers or otherwise attempt to find service. There is zero drain on my battery (other than normal slow drain in all batteries).
The phone is virtually "instantly available" on or off is what I meant. If you decide to touch base with a friend or relative, you have the OPTION to do so within two minutes. Leaving the thing at home drastically limits the ability to make contact. If you get hopelessly lost you can boot it up and find out exactly where you are and how to proceed instead of pressing on to whatever adventure awaits or asking the next human you come across for directions (which may get you even more "lost" in my experience). But you can't be lost if you don't care where you are in the first place and have no way to find out.

No worries if you are always connected. If the phone is in your bag turned off with the battery in your pocket, you are still virtually connected any time you feel like it, even midnight in a farm field.

I am not saying either is good or bad, just different in how it affects your mental state on a bike tour.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 01-04-15 at 11:04 AM.