View Single Post
Old 01-06-15, 10:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredkevbot
This is less of a call for advice or a rally for a cause, but more of a poll.

So I work for a small Healthcare company (around 20 people) in downtown Boston. Most of us are between 23-32 years old. And when I ride to work, I get not outright criticism, but my efforts to maintain a healthy and active lifestyle while fully employed are not taken well...

Is this how other people are recieved at their work as commuters? I want to assess the general experience.
Howdy neighbor,

I live in Kenmore Square and year-round cycle commute to Norwood (at least 14 miles one-way). I voted "very well," and in fact

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner.
I had to defend that assertion on a Living Car Free thread, so FYA:

…an ideal destination for a cycle commuter. I bring the bike inside near my office, and have a place to hang my cycling clothes and a table fan to dry them off. For the most part I wear surgical scrubs all day so I don't necessarily have to clean off on arrival (I shower at home before the ride). I do have shower facilities though, as well as a coffee shop and cafeteria on site.

Finally, almost all my personal service needs like barber shop, dentist, dry-cleaner/tailor, supermarket and drugstore, and good take-out restaurants are all within walking distance [of work], or a short hop on the bike.

And I cycle a nice distance of at least 14 miles through one of America’s most charming, interesting, and historic metropolises on residential and light commercial roads (and partially on a bikepath in a park) in the reverse commuter direction early in the morning, during all four (pleasant to tolerable) seasons. For training purposes, I can expand my routes to encompass popular high-level cycling outer suburbs (e.g. Dover, for the cognoscenti).