View Single Post
Old 01-06-15, 02:20 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Here ya go:

Cycle America / Pedal the Peaks - Bicycle Tours and Events

You can jump in and out of the tour at the beginning/end of any of the 9 stages. I did stage 1, then 2+3, 4, then 5.

They typically house you at junior high or high schools in small towns. Most of the time, you're given the option of sleeping in the gym (which has bathroom and shower access) or in your own tent outside. You can also arrange for hotels along the way if you prefer (I typically slept in the gym, as did most people).

The route is GREAT. They've been at this for a long time and really have the planning down. The food varied from good to fantastic. We got "fantastic" on the occasions that the locals from one of the small towns fed us. I still remember the pan-friend chicken that some Native American sisters made us in Interior, SD or the home made desserts made for us in Thompson Falls. The ladies of the town were competing with one another to see who made the best pie. Pretty sweet, eh?

Jumping in and out along the way is not unusual ... only about half of the riders at any given point do the full monty all the way across at one time. They also have arrangements where if you volunteer to help with the ride (routing, making food, mechanic), you can do the ride free and ride on alternating days when you're not working.

The only bummer? They don't do it every year ... they do it every other year ... and the next one will be in 2016.

I cannot recommend them highly enough. It had a wonderful time with these folks. I'm still in contact with some of the other riders, many years after meeting them.