View Single Post
Old 01-07-15, 02:40 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on if you want to eat enough to get by or eat enough to replenish all the calories you burned + your maintenance level. I toured spending about 5$ a day on food but the pace I kept and the calories I consumed did not even out, this would not be ideal for a tour longer than a few weeks.

Some tips to save money:

- Don't purchase fluids, ever. Just refill your water bottles at parks, gas stations, anywhere that has a spigot.

- Don't buy foods from regular grocery stores or gas stations. Buy packaged goods ready to eat from dollar stores, surplus stores etc., that mark items way below retail.

- I didn't bring cooking gear to save time and weight, but if you are hell bent on eating as cheap as you can, a stove + rice will last a long time.

- Roadside fruit stands / farmers markets for cheap produce. Excellent road food.

- Buy some stuff in bulk you can take with you before leaving. I found some Clif Bars & Builder Bars on close-out and brought a ton of them with me. Pack was fairly heavy at first but not ever needing to stop for food those first few days kept me movin.

Last edited by Buffalo Buff; 01-07-15 at 02:43 PM.