Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tbo
My problem is that the regulations they do have are useless and provide no protection to anyone, except possibly motorists. It's a charade. The fact that these regs exist make a normal consumer believe that it is a decent bicycle because it passes. But that is truly not the case. The loose regs exists so that real ones won't get written. That's dishonest. If you want no regs, that's fine. I can live with that.

Yes, you can have a $99 bicycle. I have no problem with that. Just don't believe that because it passes some gov't regs it is safe or roadworthy.
Well-said! Kind of like the "Using a state-licensed car repair shop will guarantee you get honest competent service".....

Originally Posted by tbo
BTW, fixies with no chainguards fail the regs. For some reason, they are big on chainguards for single front and rear sprocket bikes. Couldn't care less about the derailleur bikes. Not sure what that's all about. If chainguards are important, then they are important for all bikes. If not, they must not be that important after all.
Great point. But don't give them any ideas, or in addition to yellow safety stickers and dork dishes, we'll have to pay for and then remove chain guards on our road bikes next! Hey, but just think: If some maniacal 12 year-old buys a BMX to jump off the roof with, at least his pants won't get caught in the chain!