Old 01-10-15, 03:22 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I was interested to read that even though a healthy body can self adjust, watching your diet can releive the stress of those processes having to work so hard.
Originally Posted by Tabagas_Ru
How does the body "self adjust" and how does diet "relieve the stress"?
You breathe more. That's about it. Ok, there are about 4 different acidity correcting systems withing the body (that's how important it is for the body to keep a constant PH level) but breathing is one of the most influential. Kidneys do a lot as well but the system is a circulatory so one doesn't really need to worry about stressing it too much since for a normal person it isn't really physically feasible to overload all of the 4 systems working together. I mean people do well on a ketogenic diet and that should be really overloading it, but nope, it isn't.

I'm probably one of the few here who has experienced a lifethreatening acidosis. It's always lifethreatening since it develops so rapidly if it comes to that and my symptoms were heavy breathing, kinda like i was starving for oxygen all the time. And that breathing kept the insulin deficiency induced ketoacidosis in check for weeks. OK, few more days and I probably would have died but whatever.

My point is, the body is completely capable of handling and maintaining a steady PH without damaging itself in any way. If it wasn't all humans would have died at first sing of a food deficiency (kinda like cats do)