View Single Post
Old 01-10-15, 07:48 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
So, I scored two Raleigh three speeds from CL Houston today. The black ladies' model SA AW hub has a 1950 date code and a serial number suffixed AZ, which places it as a 1951 model. (thank you, Kurt Kaminer). From the catalog pages archived by Mr. Kaminer, it best matches the Sports Light Roadster from the 1948 catalog though the decals don't match up to anything I can find other than some notes in Sheldon's pages. The seat tube has "Raleigh" spelled out with horizontal letters from top down and something under that which is no longer recognizable. There is a "Made in England" decal on the upper down tube but nothing on the lower. The hockey stick chain guard says "Raleigh" in smaller than normal letters and nothing else. All this matches some of the notes on Sheldon's site.

Here she is:

Those are the pics I got before the battery went dead.

Has round and smooth plastic grips. Don't know if they are original. The handlebar has a nice bend in it. Isn't the same shape as the later North bars and seems to be of lighter gauge steel.

Probably needs new tires.

Looks like the saddle is as described in the catalog -- Brooks B66 with long slots in the leather.

The rear hub seems to be working, the front is super nasty when the axle is rotated, We'll see.

Had me going for a while is that the wheels have stainless spokes. But, the 1948 catalog pages list stainless steel spokes as being on the Sports Roadster so the are likely original. Wonders never cease.

Over all, it appears to be in pretty good shape with some rust freckles but not nearly as bad as the 79 that you can see in the background. The paint is pretty decent under the dirt.

The other is a 21" men's model in burgundy with a 1956 dated hub. Condition is comparable to the 51 and the decals/markings are typical Sports. Spokes appear to be normal galvanized.

Will post more pics if anyone is interested. Also, as restoration progresses, if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00291.jpg (54.0 KB, 110 views)
DSC00290.jpg (32.2 KB, 112 views)
DSC00289.jpg (24.1 KB, 111 views)
DSC00288.jpg (35.5 KB, 113 views)
DSC00287.jpg (46.6 KB, 113 views)