View Single Post
Old 01-11-15, 09:38 AM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
OK, here's a couple more pictures of the 1951 Raleigh which I feel confidant, based on the 1948 catalog pages, is a pretty much original Model 22L Sports Light Roadster.

Oiler on the AW hub is different from what I've seen before and I've never seen a mention of this type. Spring loaded ball in the manner of the BB oiler. Interesting curiosity, I guess.

The saddle is in amazing shape for a 63 year old bike, if it's the original. I can't see how it wouldn't be from what little I know about the history of the bike.

I guess these are the "soldered" brake cables. We'll have to see how that works out.

You can see the horizontal letters that make up the vertical Raleigh logo on the seat tube. Underneath, all horizontal, you can see an AL and around to the left, another L at the end. So, this probably was the "All Steel" label.

"Made in England" on the upper down tube.

3 or 4 speed shifter with window. Indicator in window says either H, N, or L.

Nice Heron on the fork, "thimble" chrome appears flawless, lower headset looks good. Nub on fender fron is not bad. There's some sort of decal on the fender behind the nub but I can't make it out.

Still needs a new front tire. These things are major hard.

Raleigh on the chain guard, which covers the back of the chain as well as the front. Original pedals are pretty good indicating that it was probably not ridden heavily or frequently. Chrome on the cranks and chain wheel (Herons have eyes and are looking CW) is very good.

Wiped some of the grease and dirt from the rear rim. As I said before, SS spokes. The rims are really quite nice and, from what I can see, not corroded. I had anticipated a CR18 transplant, but my wife really likes the look of these rims so they might stay. Particularly if they are pretty true. I'm not too good at truing up old steel wheels with galvanized spokes, but with the SS spokes, I might just replace the nipples and see what happens. Or not, haven't really looked at the nipples much yet.

Reflector and white tail not too bad. Wish the fender logo were better, but what can you do?.

Black pump has Raleigh Industries logo in gold.

In general, the Raleigh branding is a lot more subtle than on later bikes. Doesn't say "Sports" anywhere, but there's no other bike in the catalogs that matches this one but the 22L Sports Light Roadster. No "R" nuts, that came later. Has old style shouldered front hub nuts.

It's very interesting to me to compare the differences between this bike, the 1956 "gents" that came with it (pictures to follow) and the 1979 that I already had. The quality of materials and workmanship and attention to detail are far superior on the older bikes. Herons with eyes on the 51 where as the 1979 Herons are blind. The chrome on the 51 appears thicker and plated better.

Have to run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00293.jpg (60.9 KB, 118 views)
DSC00294.jpg (41.1 KB, 118 views)
DSC00295.jpg (41.2 KB, 117 views)
DSC00296.jpg (25.9 KB, 114 views)
DSC00297.jpg (38.2 KB, 116 views)