View Single Post
Old 01-12-15, 09:56 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know how so many have been convinced that removing a tiny (generally transparent) safety device... is cool. I think this one practice has done more to eliminate existing vintage bicycles... than has rust.

I have admittedly purchased old steel bikes that had their disk removed. And on closer inspection realized the bikes had other related problems... often mismatched wheels and/or derailleurs. Removing the disk... is one of those cool things... that really isn't.

Originally Posted by kingston
+1
I have been removing dd's since the early 80's and have never experienced anything remotely like this that would have been prevented by a dd. Perhaps I am a more careful shifter since I am both the pilot and the mechanic.
[The disk] is a safety device. It is never supposed to be used. If the disk is used it should be the result of an accident or incidental damage. Not something that would normally ever be used.

It's like the few bucks stashed in a saddle bag. It isn't like I am planning to take a cab home. And it is very likely... the emergency cash stash (like the disk) will never be needed. But it's there.... because it's really crappy to need it... and it's NOT there.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 01-12-15 at 10:05 AM.