PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
PJ: How far from the Shack do you meet up with GRR? I think once I get there, the views will keep me going... that and Coke and Shockblocks!
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/6791629

It's only about another mile, and flat or downhill. If you're at all worried about traffic, in my experience, the majority of traffic is on GMR, not GRR. GRR is a tighter road and the pavement is not as good. FAR less traffic on it. The last time I was there, the pavement wasn't bad enough to not enjoy the ride, however, between that and the tighter road, the canyon carvers just don't like it as much. Now, with that said, I have NEVER felt unsafe due to vehicular traffic on either of the roads. Now, the street-lugers scare me a bit!

If you're doing the Village, you have to be mentally prepared for the trip down. I get in the mindset that coming down the mountain is downhill. Seems logical, doesn't it? NOPE! There is one pretty good climb right out of the Village, then a several more rollers on GRR. They're not bad, but I seem to always be in the mindset that it's going to be a simple roll down the mountain, and then I get defeated mentally.\

Also, the rule for not getting lost (not that it's tough) but at any interchange, always go UP. It works going up and down the mountain. Always go UP.

Originally Posted by Pamestique
My bike is equipped with 12/36 (XTR derailleur and SRAM XX cassette)... really no excuse not be do this!
Color me jealous. I can do it with my compact - 12/28, but would love another gear or two.

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 01-12-15 at 07:22 PM.