Old 01-13-15, 10:43 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
For those of us that have no clue about junior racing, can you elaborate? Do Juniors have to ride specific gearing?
Yes. Cycling is the only sport in the world I know of where a person, based on age alone, may not use the equipment their competitor does. I am very biased/opinionated about this. So I apologize for the flavor of my reporting.

Keeping it to the USA all 18 and under road (track has age graded limits) are limited to a 26' roll out (basically a 52X14, but 53X13 on a 19mm tire may pass) gear. Then USAC may get involved and limit equipment sometimes (VOS TT). The other part is in the span of my kid racing USAC has changed, or talked about changing ($$$) wheel material, number of spokes, spoke material, bikes allowed in TTs and gears. While it may be better to learn on smaller gears - that is a coaching decision. We do not have the governing body also determining bike fit. Make the rules and ensure (as much as they can) the playing field is fair.

Outside the USA. The only "good part" is kids don't race adults normally, so all competitors are at least on the same equipment. UCI defines junior as 17-18 and as far as I know, for UCI juniors all rules are the same world-wide. Ages 9-16 rules vary by country. For 16 and below Belgium/Netherlands restrict gears to 52X16 and wheel profile to 30mm and I believe metal rims. Denmark allows carbon 50mm profiles. France allows a 50X14 gear.
When I was visiting last year a Danish sprinter kid who's family drove from Denmark to Belgium had his wheels DQ'd. He borrowed wheels from the USA van and won both races he did. If they wanted to drive another 100 miles to France and race they would need to change gears and his wheels may be allowed.

The reason given for the gears is that it keeps the racers together and doesn't favor the early development kids who can power away on bigger gears and the kids learn to race. That makes sense, its just that when they turn 17 it changes and at 19 it changes again.

At ages 17/18 bike weights (all UCI rules) come into play for significant races.

Having spent about 10+ years close to USA Soccer, I see many of the same things in USAC. Primarily country organization trying to help development and the net result being parents are just spending more money (as are adult racers who's fees go to these programs) with little as a direct result of these programs. I would prefer rules be left the same world-wide and for all competitors in the same event to be allowed the same equipment.
Those adaptable puppies will grow into big dogs just fine.

Last edited by Doge; 01-13-15 at 11:00 AM.