View Single Post
Old 01-14-15, 03:57 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I take them off all of my bikes, but put them on bikes I build for inexperienced people.

I went the 'whole hog' on this 1980's Claud Butler Elan I built for a novice rider, a young lady doctor who wanted a Classic 1980's English bike to commute four miles to the hospital in Hamburg, Germany.

As you can see, it's got a metal dork disc, chain ring protector, reflectors on the wheels and pedals (and by the time it was sent to her a bell, front and rear reflectors and mirror), CLB turkey levers with Emelle stem shifters for a 'heads up' riding position in traffic plus robust Shimano Tourney derailleur. Locked in the hospital bike rack for more than 12 hours a day it's likely to get knocked around a bit. The last thing she'd want after a long duty is to have the chain wrap up and have to push it home. As it is, she loves it! If I'd built it up for myself it would be very different.

Last edited by Oldpeddaller; 01-14-15 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Omission