View Single Post
Old 01-16-15, 11:50 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Really serious taillights

OK, the place I work is moving though my department won't be moving for another year so I have time to plan. However, they're moving to a place where from what I can tell, the drivers are seriously horrible. It's only 12 miles away from here, where I have no trouble, but it's got me worried. Three cyclists have been killed in the last year within 2 miles of the place, and a friend who lives nearby says she's jogged on those roads and she runs in foot high grass because all the drivers are staring at their phones all the time and weaving all over the road and into the gravel.

So I'm thinking I need to have a ludicrious amount of taillight.

At first I was thinking I'd go ahead and get the Dinotte 400R, but I think I might even go beyond that. I can go onto Amazon and pick up emergency vehicle light bars in 18 to 36 inch lengths. Those have pretty intense flash patterns.

I really don't want to go to this extent, but if it's this or get killed, I'll do what I have to. I will only be turning it on in the bad spots; it's going to be a 25 mile commute and all but about 5 miles of that are on road that I have no trouble with, and there are 2 miles of MUP (unfortunately spilling out onto the road that I need to take the last mile to work and it's the worst road of the route).

I'm going to need this day and night.

BTW what's the difference between the Dinotte 400R and the "daylight visible" one? They have ZERO specs on their website on the daylight visible light, just "it's daylight visible"

Looking at videos online, DesignShine looks like a better choice than Dinotte. Or heck, I actually design LED stuff as a hobby, I might just do my own.

What do people who live where they have no choice but to ride on 2 lane roads with no shoulders, no bike lanes or paths, and highly distracted drivers do?