Old 01-19-15, 05:48 PM
Jed19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
I'm not "training" for anything specific just trying to get back into shape and lose a few pounds. I used to ride 2-3 times a week and got sore just about every ride and figured it was just because I'm a newbie. Well 3 months later and my thighs still seem to get horribly sore every time I ride. I've gradually moved up from 3 miles on my first ride to now riding between 30-40 miles per ride.

Since the time change I'm only riding once a week so I do try and get in as much of a workout as possible and really push hard to get the most out of the ride. The last 4 rides in Jan where between 32 and 37 miles with typically around 1000' or less of incline.

I logged my 43rd ride on Saturday morning which was 33 miles and just under 1000' incline and I'm still horribly sore as a result.

I've read several websites showing how to recover fast from soreness, by eating certain foods before, after, and drinking certain things during and after. I stretch, I do 5 minutes of high spinning cool down after the ride, I do hot, cold water treatments, massage the muscle, stretch, swim, sit in a jacuzzi, ben gay, extra protein, creatine, and just about everything else I could find with little to no improvement.

I just thought the soreness would be over by now, but I'm not sure if it's normal since I'm still technically a new rider.
Does your bike fit? The kind of soreness you described can sometimes be normal after hard rides, but the duration makes me suspect your fit might not be great. As an example, I use to get really sore thighs when I was using zero set-back seatpost, but since I switched to 15mm set-back seatpost, the soreness is no longer an issue.