View Single Post
Old 01-19-15, 07:13 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I had the day off today, and my daughters were heading back to school, so I stuck my velo cheapo bike into their trunk and they dropped me off in the next town over, about 20 miles by MUP. Temperature in the upper 40's with just a little wind, so it was pretty comfortable in just khakis and a long sleeve t-shirt. Stopped at Costco to pick up a polish dog lunch and a few small items I needed at work, kissed my girls goodbye and headed for home. Had a couple very light rain showers and one fairly impressive but brief hail storm along the way, but pretty nice overall, for January.

Typical rails-to-trails infrastructure, with little warning posts and signage where your cross a public road.

I SHARE THE ROAD. (With large, ambulatory poop factories)

The Dungeness River Trestle is of course a leftover from when trains ran through this path. Theres a park built around this now, with the local Audubon center directly adjacent. There's always tons of birds around the river, so it's a good spot for it.

At a couple of points the MUP leaves the grade, so you get some crazy steep (but short) hills where you go down to river crossings, then back up. There's a cute little covered bridge at this one.

Another river crossing a few miles later:

The last four miles into town you skirt the ocean, with lots of places to pull off and camp out awhile, or just bliss out to the sound of the waves. (Yes, recreational marijuana is legal in my state; and no, I haven't bought any yet. But I do remember my misspent youth. Vaguely.)

In this part of the country, if your chainstay crotch looks like this after 20 miles on an immaculately tended MUP, you know it's winter. Or fall.

Or spring. Or maybe large parts of the summer.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 01-19-15 at 07:30 PM.