View Single Post
Old 01-20-15, 04:06 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
This is actually true - not just marketing talk. Actually, the best time to buy a bike is November, with demand and prices then jumping substantially during the first nice weekend in April.

Free tuneups - basically less than zero value. These only cover stuff that you must know how to do yourself. Such as inflating tires, adjusting derailleurs and checking the torque on bolts. Plus you must know how to change a tire and eventually change a chain.

Free tuneups do not cover parts, and you may be then locked into the shop for replacements, which at retail prices plus shop labor rates is beyond my price threshold.

Plus these tuneups may lull you into a false sense of security. When you are riding a bike, you are depending on 20 pounds of hardware between your legs to be completely reliable on a 50mph twisty descent. Not enough of a safety blanket for me. You must know your hardware.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay more for a bike as a heap of individual parts in a box, because then I could build it up myself and make sure it is done correctly. Whenever I do get a bike, whether new or used, I break it down to individual component parts, and then build it back up again. But maybe that's just me.

How do you know the individual parts are put together properly, or at that point do you say "damm the torpedo's, full steam ahead" and throw safety caution to the wind and say I'm going to live dangerously!!