Old 01-22-15, 08:51 AM
bruised

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease Carbon, Sette Razzo Carbon 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scoatw
For the really cold stuff 4°f and below I break out the NEOS Explorer Overshoes. They will handle anything that my area has to offer. I found out about them from folks who ride the Iditarod Trail Invitational. If its good enough for them, then its good enough for me. I've only had them for a few years, and the coldest I wore them was -6°f. My feet were just as toasty as they were when I started out 45 mins earlier.
Hello Sir!
I'm in desperate need of warm winter footwear and noticed your recommendation for these overshoes. I'm wondering what type of shoe you wear under these for the coldest riding conditions and just how bulky they are compared say with a heavier winter snow boot?
It's my first year winter riding and I have everything pretty much nailed down except for my feet! I fat bike ride in deep snow, regularly dismounting to push through drifts and the like. Temps frequently hover around 0F, often -20 / -30 with windchills.
I've been using an insulated snow boot with a -20 rating but they do not keep my feet warm. I've tried chemical toe warmers and they do nothing to help.

So I'm wondering if these are a viable option and what they'd work with (underneath) for low, low temps...

Or if anyone has a handle on a different (affordable) option, please let me know. I've investigated a lot of stuff. I liked the look of the heated insoles that someone mentioned in another thread, but then when I read the reviews on Amazon they were badly slated - lots of 1 star reviews saying they don't work well or the stopped working etc.

I even considered the very expensive Wolverhammer boots, but they've also had a lot of bad press on the MTB forum, people saying the soles split and they fall apart.

Of course the problem with boots is that once you've determined that they don't keep you warm enough it's too late to send them back, as they get scuffed quite quickly on the bike. (I'm a size 14 in boots so they rub the cranks!).

Thanks!