Old 01-23-15, 08:37 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
FTFY. I play with triples all the time at my clinic. I don't have any issues.
Seriously. Holy moly guys, I've never seen so many people with issues with Shimano road derailers before, and I've adjusted thousands of them. If you want to say that you get funky shifting from your custom chainring choices, I'm not gonna disagree. 50/34 doesn't shift as well as 53/39? Again, no disagreement (I ride compact, the difference in a clean shift is barely noticeable, a non-issue to me). But a Shimano triple shifts just as beautifully as a Shimano double. If yours doesn't... well, go watch more youtube videos or something, just quit the baseless railing on the hardware.

I don't like triples, but my gripe with triples is the fact that a whole pile of those gears are redundant Shifting from one end of the range to the other, in very small steps, jumping to the next chainring one time each, still only takes about 17 or 18 gear combinations in total on a '30 speed' drivetrain (In comparison, with 2x10, you use 15 or 16 gear combinations to perform the same task). You can shift more if you want, but it's superfluous. 53x25 and 30x14, and 53x23 and 30x13 are identical, within the tiniest percent- have fun shifting across those combinations, like 8 or 9 clicks each way for less than one gear-inch. If you feel like making a TINY change in gearing in the middle of the range, sure, you can, but you're typically jumping a chainring, then jumping three or four cogs on the cassette, which is a bummer for a tiny change in ratio.

What a standard road triple has over a double is a lowest gear ratio about 10% lower than a compact crank's lowest gear (assuming no mountain bike rear derailer/cassette augmentation). If you're an average rider riding a ton of hills, it's the better choice.

edit: 3x7/3x8 and maybe 3x9 make sense for all around gearing, but in 10 speed and forward a double is the way to go.

Last edited by Raiden; 01-24-15 at 10:46 AM.