View Single Post
Old 01-24-15, 11:29 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Title
Um, how about My Bike Commute?
Route
15 to 16 miles each way, depending on route.
Road conditions / surfaces
Usually good. Mostly but not always clean pavement. At least 50% has a wide shoulder. The morning run uses about 2 miles of bikeway.
Traffic
Moderate.
Environment
Mostly suburban.
Hills
Yes. Not long but one is steep, max grade ~10%. Total elevation gain each way is 1500 to 1700ft.
Frequency
Technically speaking, once per day.
Since this really asks "how often", then every day if no other commitment or weather intervenes. I rode this April through mid-December when events got in the way, and I've ridden this only once this January.
Departure time
7:15 to 7:30AM, typically.
Bike
All of them (except the tandem). The UO8 gets the bulk of the later-fall and winter use because it is equipped with generator lights. (I also use a powerful battery light and rear blinky.) Some have tires less suited to the debris level. The Bianchi wears Gatorskins and is especially nice. They are all good.
Bike name
I could go with Nao, Gina, Francis, Mario, but that would be silly. They don't have names other than Peugeot, Motobecane, Raleigh, Masi, Centurion, Bianchi, Bertin.
Cargo
Lunch.
Helmet / Mirror
Yes.
Destination
Woburn, MA in the morning. Waltham, MA in the evening.
Parking
For the bike? In my office.
Cleanup
No.
Amenities
They have electricity, plumbing, heat, a small cafeteria with no food service.
Departure time
From home? I already answered that. From the office? 4:50 to 5:10 PM typically.
Alternative Transportation
I drive if necessary. I could take a commuter train for part of the trip but it wouldn't save much distance or time so I have not done so yet.