Old 01-24-15, 12:01 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
How do you know what 'most people' do in a spin class? Loads on most spin bikes are adjustable and it's not difficult to simulate outdoor road conditions.

Spin classes seem like a reasonable way to get in an hour of intense riding when the whether is dreary. I don't think many riders goes to spin class for a relaxing easy spin.
Because most that go to spinning class are slow bike riders. Joe average if that. They are the Starbucks club and care more about what spandex they are wearing than becoming a strong cyclist. You capitalize on the precise point. The bikes are adjustable...lol. Most average guys turn the resistance down and not up. A very different crowd than power based TrainerRoad where people punish themselves in their basement. Hey, that isn't exactly the definition of sanity either and it can be argued that 'spinning' is a lot less painful but there is little doubt which one is most effective if improvement is your goal and you want to be a strong cyclist. There is no shortcut to being good. You either have to train or ride with fast guys or you won't be as fast. Most in spinning class aren't even CAT 5's or equivalent. Nothing wrong with that but is what it is. I have never met a real strong cyclist who attended a 'spinning' class. Many however train with power in their home in the off season.
PS: I always loved the response of Eddy Merckx when asked about spinning a shorter gear versus mashing a higher gear. Eddy responded it was always his goal to spin a big gear....lol. Nobody did it better and there is nothing harder.

Last edited by Campag4life; 01-24-15 at 12:07 PM.