View Single Post
Old 01-24-15, 10:49 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by m78596c
Glad you didn't get hurt. Even though I don't have a mirror, I have sort of developed a decent sense of when someone is about to pass without leaving much room, versus when they are giving space. I guess it sounds different..and granted it's probably like a 1 second warning, not nearly as good as a mirror. Whenever I hear that sound though, I do a little swerve toward the edge of the road, if it's safe, and tuck my elbow in. I have no idea if that actually makes me any safer, but it's what I do.

Also, as a side note..I figured out something useful about those reflective leg band things (supposed to be for keeping your pant leg from your chainring). If you wear one on your left leg, it must make you appear further to the left, for someone looking from behind. As soon as I started wearing one of those on my left leg, I started getting buzzed a LOT less often.

I would LOVE to figure out how to get some LED / laser type thing to shine a colorful light down on the road, a foot or so to my left. If someone could figure out how to do that, I think cars would give more room.
Thanks for this reply, and not to make a fuss, but I was in an acute care hospital for about two weeks, rehab hospital for another three weeks, off work for three months, and off the bike for five months. I won’t get into a mirror popcorn thread, but I have noticed that if I am passed by a car, I’m never sure if another one is immediately following just by hearing.

I too wear the reflective bands because I think the up-and-down motion is distinctive to indicate a bicyclist. I have seen posts about such laser type things. Maybe they could be found on the Electronics Forum. I think this thread could be a good place to exchange such information, though my recollection was there was not much interest in general, including by me. However I do recall one intriguing product, but I have no idea where I saw it.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-25-15 at 05:15 AM.