Old 01-25-15, 02:18 AM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
I plan to ride(loaded with 55lbs of gear) the entire length of Japan from Cape Sata to Cape Soya, I'm trying to figure out what tires would be best suited for the ride, ive already settled on 700X32c, but are punctures likely in Japan can I get away with light tires or do I need to go with heavy marathon plus tires?
I would go with a mid level protection tire for Japan at best. The roads are 90% pretty good but you will do some sidewalk riding at times which can be pretty rough. 32C will be totally fine, as there is nearly zero dirt roads in Japan. I found 8 km of gravel roads over 7000 km of riding in Japan and I had to search very hard to even find that.

Personally only had a single flat there and it was a chunk of metal 4 inches imbedded in my tire and went right through to the rim HAHA. They do an awesome job of keeping the road free of nasty stuff.

Off topic: 700C stuff is pretty easy to find in Japan, but be aware that "Mama Chari" bikes are 27" wheeled not 700C. All other parts are really easy to find if you experience a breakdown. 26", 650b and 29" stuff is DIFFICULT to find in Japan . If you need a 700C related part, use Amazon and get it shipped to a 7-11/Lawsons/etc. 2 days max to get anything from Amazon, regardless where you are.

Also, you will need plenty of lighting for Japan as you will ride a crazy amount of tunnels. There many 8000+ meter tunnels and there are areas where you will ride most of your day in tunnels and rock sheds than in the open road.

Last edited by SparkyGA; 01-25-15 at 02:21 AM.